5 Things You Should Know Before Getting Hernia Surgery
A hernia occurs when a tissue or an organ protrudes through the wall of a muscle or tissue that normally contains it. It usually occurs in the area around the abdomen. Hernia cannot be treated by medications and requires surgery in most cases.
1.Types of Hernia surgery
2.Certain Changes in Lifestyle Before the Surgery
3.Risks associated with Hernia Surgery
4.Can you postpone a Hernia Surgery
5.What will happen after Hernia Surgery?
In case you are going to get a hernia surgery, here are 5 things you should know beforehand.
- Types of Hernia surgery
Many people start to panic as they hear the word surgery. Hernias are very common and have a very reliable treatment. Hernia can generally be treated by two types of surgeries namely Open Surgery and Laparoscopic Surgery.
Open Surgery: In this type of surgery, a cut is made to open the skin. Don’t worry, you will receive a general anaesthesia before this process starts! The surgeon will then push the hernia back into the place or remove it. Then area will then be closed through stitches. Many surgeons now place a mesh for extra support and to reduce the chances of recurrence of hernia.
Laparoscopic Surgery: As with open surgery, you will receive a general anaesthesia in laparoscopic surgery In this surgery, your abdomen is inflated with a harmless gas for better view to the surgeon and small cuts will be made.
Subsequently a thin tube with a tiny camera will be inserted. Images from this camera will guide the surgeon on how to proceed for repairing the hernia with mesh. Recovery is usually faster with laparoscopic surgery.
- Certain Changes in Lifestyle before the Surgery
Most doctors suggest certain changes to be made a week before the surgery is done which are as follows:
- Stop taking aspirin and blood thinner.
- If you have a heart condition, consult your cardiologist and general surgeon regarding your medicines.
- If your doctor allows you to take the medicine on the day of surgery, take it only with a sip of water.
- Stop taking diet medicines, Vitamin E, etc.
- Do not eat anything on the day of surgery.
- Stop smoking.
- Risks associated with Hernia Surgery
Every surgery comes with some risks. However less the chances of them happening may be, following are some risks associated with Hernia Surgery:
- When incisions are made into the skin, there is a probability of the wound getting infected.
- Hernia Surgery may lead to formation of blood clots as the body is under anaesthesia and does not move for a long time.
- There is a possibility for recurrence of hernia after the surgery. For this purpose, surgeons now use mesh so that the chances of recurrence of hernia can be reduced.
- Some people experience excruciating pain after the hernia surgery especially in the groin area. Laparoscopic surgery may however cause less pain in comparison with open surgery.
In case of any doubts, get consultation from the best hernia surgery hospital in Chandigarh: https://healinghospital.co.in/general-surgery/
- Can you postpone a Hernia Surgery?
It is not necessary to have a hernia surgery right away. You can speak to your doctor regarding any problems faced by you and may mutually decide if you can postpone the surgery based on your condition.
Although delaying surgery until your hernia is larger may make your muscles weak and consequently make your surgery and recovery more difficult, your doctor may be able to guide you better on what is better for you.
- What will happen after Hernia Surgery?
It is important to understand what to expect after you get your hernia surgery. Following are some of the points you need to keep in mind:
- Hernia surgery can be completed in less than 24 hours. Most people get discharged the same day of the surgery with exceptions to abdominal hernia surgery.
- You can experience some soreness in the area of the surgery.
- Doctors may encourage you to walk if you can.
- Hiatal hernia repair patients may be prescribed a liquid diet for sometime.
- Normal activities can generally be resumed after a week of surgery but one should abstain with rigorous activities like heavy lifting.
To get an estimate of hernia operation cost in Chandigarh, click here: https://healinghospital.co.in/general-surgery/