Fungal Skin Infections: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Fungal infection or mycosis is a skin condition caused by fungus. Anyone can have a fungus infection and it can occur in any area of the body. A vaginal yeast infection, athlete’s foot, and thrush on new-borns are some examples of fungal infections.
Fungi are microorganisms that have a material called chitin in their cell walls. Some fungi are harmless whereas some can be highly dangerous and can cause life-threatening illnesses.
Types, symptoms and treatment of fungal skin infections
Some common types of fungal skin infections along with their symptoms and treatment are as follows:
- Athlete’s foot: Athlete’s foot is a fungal infection that affects the feet. This infection is caused by a form of ringworm.
There are some things that you can do to prevent this fungal infection. For example, when using community showers or pool facilities, always wear shower shoes. Carefully wash and dry your feet and wear clean socks daily.
Symptoms of the athlete’s foot include cracking, stinging, burning sensation and peeling between the toes.
Antifungal cream and oral antifungal medicines can help in curing athlete’s foot. Along with that, make sure to keep your feet clean and dry always.
- Jock itch: Jock itch is a fungal infection that affects the groin area. Both men and women are susceptible to this. It gives a red, itchy and raised rash. Sweating and humid environment can increase the chances of jock itch.
The following are some of the signs and symptoms of jock itch:
- Itching, chafing or burning sensation in the groin and thigh
- A rash that is red, round, and has elevated edges
- Redness in groin or thigh
- Flaking, peeling, or cracking skin
Keeping the groin area clean and dry significantly reduces the chances of jock itch. Wearing loose and new clothing every day can also prevent this infection.
- Ringworm: Ringworm, commonly known as tinea corporis, is a fungal skin infection and not a worm as the name suggests. It gets its name from the ring-shaped rash with a worm-like border that it causes.
Ringworm is a kind of fungus that causes a red, round and a flat sore on the skin that might be accompanied by scaly skin.
Antifungal creams are the most common form of treatment for ringworm. In serious situations, you may require prescription medicines to be applied to your skin or taken orally.
- Nail fungus: Toenail fungal infection is a common fungal infection. To avoid nail fungus, hands and feet should be kept clean and dry. Wear clean and new socks every day and do not share your towels, grooming equipment, razors, and nail clippers with anyone.
Most common symptoms of toenail fungus include thick, discoloured, brittle toenails, although fingernails can also be affected.
Over-the-counter medications aren’t typically suggested for treating nail infections because they don’t always work. Your doctor may instead prescribe antifungal medicines. Other antifungal therapies, such as antifungal nail lacquer or topical remedies may also be prescribed.
- Yeast infection: Yeast infection of the skin is also called cutaneous candidiasis. When candida, a kind of fungus develops too much, it causes infection. Yeast infections are not contagious. Warm, damp and wrinkled regions of your body such as armpits and groin are the most prone areas for yeast infections. Obese or diabetic people are more likely to suffer from yeast infection. Antibiotic users are also at a higher risk.
Treatment for yeast infection depends on the kind of infection. Most skin yeast infections may be treated with medicated creams. Medicated suppositories can typically be used to treat a vaginal infection. You may require oral anti-yeast medicines if you have a serious illness or a compromised immune system.
Fungal infections can be unpleasant and even painful. It might take weeks or months to recover from them in some situations. Therefore, it is important to consult your doctor if you suspect you have a fungal infection. In certain circumstances, your doctor may even advise you to make dietary or other lifestyle changes to help treat or prevent fungal infections in the future.
Book an appointment for the best treatment for fungal infection in Chandigarh here: https://www.healinghospital.co.in/dermatology/