Kidney Stones – Symptoms and Treatment & Surgery Hospital in Chandigarh
Kidney is an organ that takes care of the body’s fluids and its chemical levels. Healthy kidneys control the levels of salts like sodium, potassium and calcium in the blood. It is the size of your fist.
The main function of kidney is to clean waste from the blood and remove it from the body as urine. Urine has many minerals and salts dissolved in it. Stones are formed when urine have high content of these minerals and salts. Kidney stones start small without causing any issue but over time it may grow in size and even start filling the hollow parts of kidney. These stones can travel towards the tube between the kidney and the bladder known as ureter. If the stone reaches bladder it can pass out through urine. Sometimes this stone can block ureter causing the blockage of urine and this can be quite painful.
Types of kidney stones:
Kidney stones are of different types and the treatment also depends on the type of stone and its size. Hence, when you seek Kidney stone
treatment in Chandigarh it is important that you have clarity about the type of kidney stones that you have.
The types of kidney stones are:
Calcium stones– These are the most common type of kidney stones. In fact around 80% of kidney stones tend to be of this type. They are further divided into- calcium oxalate and calcium phosphate. In this calcium oxalate is the most common type of calcium stone found among people who suffer from kidney stones. High amount of calcium in the urine raises the risk of developing calcium stones in the kidneys.
Uric acid stones– Uric acid is a waste product of body and its crystals don’t dissolve in the urine; thus, it results in the formation of the uric acid stone. High blood sugar, diarrhoea, being overweight, consuming high animal protein can lead to the formation of uric acid stones in the
Struvite or Infection stones– These are not very common and they are related with chronic urinary tract infections. People who have
chronic urinary tract infection or those who have neurological disorders with poor bladder control have high risk of developing this type of stone.
Cystine stones– These are very rare and caused due to high amount of cystine in the urine.
Symptoms of Kidney stones:
The most common symptom of kidney stones is sharp pain in the back or side. The pain can also be experienced in the lower abdomen region. The pain comes and goes in waves as the body tries to get rid of the stones.
The other symptoms of kidney stones are:
- frequent feeling or urgency to urinate
- urinating more often
- burning sensation during urinating
- blood in urine
- feeling of nausea or vomiting
It is best to consult well-experienced Nephrologist in Chandigarh if you observe any of these symptoms. In Chandigarh, a Kidney Specialist can help you get the right diagnosis after studying your symptoms and taking certain tests like X-ray, ultrasound, CT scan etc. Then only you can have a clear way towards the right treatment option for your condition.
Causes of Kidney stones:
1) Passing less volume of urine– low volume of urine is the major
cause of formation of kidney stones. This can be due to –
- Physical work
- Hot weather
- Not drinking enough fluids
The volume of urine determines the levels of salts and minerals in it. If the fluid is more, then the salt concentration is less. That is why increasing the intake of water is the best way to prevent the development of kidney stones
2) Dietary reasons– In this, calcium levels of urine need to be examined. This does not mean lowering down calcium intake but lowering the salt intake so that calcium doesn’t concentrate in urine, instead is absorbed by the body. Secondly, certain diets that are rich in animal protein and low in
vegetable and fruits are linked with formation of kidney stones.
3) Condition of bowel– Chronic diarrhoea is also linked with kidney stone formation because in this the volume of urine decreases resulting in the high concentration of salts. Also, surgery of intestine can also increase the risk of calcium oxalate kidney stones.
4) Obesity– Obesity can change the acid levels of the urine thus posing the risk of stone formation in the kidneys.
5) Certain medical conditions– These are some medical conditions that increase the risk of kidney stones. Abnormal growth of parathyroid gland can cause high concentration of calcium in the blood and urine as this gland controls calcium metabolism in the body. This condition can lead to formation of calcium stones.
6) Medication– Calcium and Vitamin C supplements increases the risk of kidney stones.
7) Genetics– There can be genetic predisposition also when it comes to kidney stones. If your parents or siblings have kidney stones then the chances are high that you would also.
Treatment of kidney stones:
Generally, a person is given time so that the stone passes on its own. The process is aided with medication as well.
Surgery is needed in the following conditions:
- If the stone fails to pass on its own or through medication
- If you are experiencing unbearable pain and cannot wait for it to pass.
- If stone is affecting the functions of the kidney, causing infection or blocking the flow of urine.
Shock wave lithotripsy (SWL) There is repeated firing of shock waves on the kidney stones which cause them to break in smaller pieces. These pieces then can pass out in the urine over the next few weeks.
It is one of the safest ways to removing stones from kidney, though you might experience pain or blood in urine when the pieces of stone pass out.
This involves a small telescope that is passed into the kidney through urethra. This doesn’t involve any cut or incisions. A basket like device is used to remove smaller stones and if the stone is large in size then it can be broke with laser. Hence, the stone can be removed as a whole or in pieces. Kidney stone laser treatment cost in Chandigarh can vary according to the type and size of the kidney stone. You should opt for the Best Kidney Hospital in Chandigarh if you want that most effective treatment solutions for your medical condition.
Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL)
This is considered the best treatment to remove large kidney stones. An incision is made in the back or side and a neproscope passed into the hollow parts of kidney where the stone is located. It breaks the stone and suction out the pieces. It is advisable that you seek a reputed and well-equipped Kidney stone hospital in Chandigarh for this type of surgery.
We at Healing Hospital ensure that you receive utmost care and best treatment for Kidney stones. We have most-experienced, well-qualified and competent team of Nephrologists, Kidney Doctors and specialists of Kidney stones along with state-of-the-art technology to support the surgical treatments. We ensure that you go home not with the pain but with a smile!
Have any questions?